September 9, 1934 Wilsonia Benita Driver (Sonia Sanchez), poet and playwright, was born in Birmingham, Alabama. In 1943, Sanchez moved to Harlem, New York to live with her father. In 1955, she earned a Bachelor of Art degree in Political Science from Hunter College. Later she completed postgraduate work at New York University.
Tag Archives | Presidential Fellow
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- February 28th in African American History – James Anderson, Jr.
- September 2nd in African American History – Joseph W. Hatchett
- March 24th in African American History – Renaldo “Skeets” Nehemiah
- July 4th in African American History – Benjamin Oliver Davis, Jr.
- October 16th in African American History – Leon Howard Sullivan
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer