June 22, 2009 Elizabeth Louise “Betty” Allen, operatic mezzo-soprano, died. Allen was born March 17, 1927 in Campbell, Ohio. She earned a bachelor’s degree from the Hartford School of Music in vocal performance and her first major performance came in 1951 as the soprano soloist in “Jeremiah Symphony” with the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
June 22, 1947 Octavia Estelle Butler, award-winning science fiction writer, was born in Pasadena, California. Butler began writing at the age of 10 and at 12 began a lifelong interest in science fiction. In 1968, she earned an associate’s degree from Pasadena City College and then participated in a number of writing workshops. Her first […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- August 1st in African American History – Ronald Harmon Brown
- August 16th in African American History – Maxwell Lemuel Roach
- October 8th in African American History – John B. McLendon, Jr.
- February 19th in African American History – Virginia Hamilton
- October 19th in African American History – Samora Moises Machel