January 26, 1996 Henry Jay Lewis, double-bass player and orchestra conductor, died. Lewis was born October 16, 1932 in Los Angeles, California. He began playing the piano at the age of five and later learned to play the clarinet and several string instruments.
Tag Archives | January 26
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- February 10th in African American History – Grace Towns Hamilton
- December 27th in African American History – James Madison Nabrit, Jr.
- February 18th in African American History – Audre Geraldine Lorde
- Guion “Guy” Bluford, Jr. – August 30th in African American History
- February 15th in African American History – Nat King Cole
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer