March 28, 1923 Thaddeus Joseph “Thad” Jones, jazz trumpeter, composer, and bandleader, was born in Pontiac, Michigan. Jones was a self taught musician and began playing professionally at the age of 16. He served in the United States Army band from 1943 to 1946. In 1954, Jones joined the Count Basie Orchestra where he contributed […]
Tag Archives | Royal Danish Conservatory
By Chimsima Zuhri on March 28, 2012 in African American History, Education, March, Military, Music
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- August 31st in African American History – Christopher “Chris” Tucker
- May 14th in African American History – Cecil Eric Lincoln
- March 1st in African American History – Harold George “Harry” Belafonte, Jr.
- July 4th in African American History – Benjamin Oliver Davis, Jr.
- November 25th in African American History – Bill “Bojangles” Robinson
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer