February 1, 1833 Henry McNeal Turner, bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Newberry Courthouse, South Carolina. At that time, the law prohibited a black child to be taught to read or write, therefore Turner taught himself. In 1853, he received his license to preach and during the Civil War was appointed […]
January 5, 1971 Charles L. “Sonny” Liston, hall of fame boxer, died. Liston was born May 8, 1932 in Johnson Township, Arkansas. In 1950, he was sentenced to prison for taking part in a robbery and while in prison learned to box. Liston was paroled in 1952 and made his professional boxing debut in 1953. […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- January 3rd in African American History – William “Willy” Theodore Ribbs, Jr.
- October 8th in African American History – Albertina Walker
- March 7th in African American History – Ali Ibrahim “Farka” Toure
- April 1st in African American History – Marvin Pentz Gaye, Jr.
- November 11th in African American History – Delores LaVern Baker