August 28, 1818 Jean Baptiste Pointe du Sable, The Father of Chicago, died. Du Sable’s birth date is unknown but it is generally believed that he was born between 1730 and 1745 in what is now Haiti. Du Sable first arrived on the western shores of Lake Michigan around 1779, where he built the first […]
Archive | African American History RSS feed for this section
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- February 3rd in African American History – Laura Wheeler Waring
- April 18h in African American History – Clarence Edward “Big House” Gaines, Sr.
- July 28th in African American History – Cordy Tindell Vivian
- March 18th in African American History – Willie King
- February 25th in African American History – Daniel “Chappie” James, Jr.
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer