March 8, 1953 James Edward Rice, hall of fame baseball player, was born in Anderson, South Carolina. Rice debuted with the Boston Red Sox in 1974 and over his sixteen seasons with the team was an eight-time All-Star selection, the American League Most Valuable Player in 1978, and one of two players in history to [...]
January 31, 1931 Ernest Banks, hall of fame baseball player, was born in Dallas, Texas. Banks made his professional baseball debut in 1950 with the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro Baseball League and broke into the Major Leagues in 1953 with the Chicago Cubs, their first black player.
November 9, 1935 Pack Robert “Bob” Gibson, baseball Hall of Fame pitcher, was born in Omaha, Nebraska. Despite a childhood filled with medical problems, Gibson was active in sports and won a basketball scholarship to Creighton University.
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- September 13th in African American History – Nell Ruth Hardy (Nell Carter)
- June 3rd in African American History – Florence Beatrice Price
- February 17th in African American History – Michael Jeffrey “Air” Jordan
- May 7th in African American History – George W. Lee
- The Orangeburg Massacre – February 8th in African American History