November 23, 1995 Autry DeWalt Mixon, Jr. (Junior Walker), saxophonist and bandleader, died. Walker was born June 14, 1931 in Blytheville, Arkansas but grew up in South Bend, Indiana. In the mid-1950s, he started a band called the Jumping Jacks. In 1961, the band signed with Motown Records and their name was changed to Jr. [...]
Tag Archives | Jr. Walker & The All Stars
By Chimsima Zuhri on November 23, 2010 in African American History, November
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- March 5th in African American History – Charles Henry Fuller, Jr.
- October 2nd in African American History – Robert Henry Lawrence, Jr.
- October 31st in African American History – Frederick Stanley McGriff
- Ethel Waters – September 1st in African American History
- October 27th in African American History – Es’kia Mphahlele
Academy Award actor actress All-American All-Star Army athlete author baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights civil rights activist civil rights leader College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator emmy Award football Gold Medal Grammy Award Grammy Hall of Fame Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award jazz Medal of Honor musician NAACP National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts NEA Jazz Master NFL poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Bowl Pro Football Hall of Fame R&B Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer