March 2, 1932 Frank E. Petersen, Jr., the first African American Marine Corps aviator and the first African American Marine Corps general, was born in Topeka, Kansas. Petersen enlisted in the United States Navy in 1950 as a seaman apprentice.
Tag Archives | Frank E. Petersen
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- September 29th in African American History – Mabel Fairbanks
- October 21st in African American History – Valerie Thomas
- December 14th in African American History – Aloyisus Leon Higginbotham, Jr.
- June 17th in African American History – Venus Ebony Starr Williams
- September 10th in African American History – Robert Jerry Lanier, Jr.
Academy Award actor actress All-American All-Star Army athlete author baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights civil rights activist civil rights leader College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator emmy Award football Gold Medal Grammy Award Grammy Hall of Fame Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award jazz Medal of Honor musician NAACP National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts NEA Jazz Master NFL poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Bowl Pro Football Hall of Fame R&B Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer